Get Help in Northern Ireland
text: REACH to 077 97 805839
Women’s Aid Northern Ireland
Women’s Aid is the lead voluntary organisation in Northern Ireland addressing violence against women and providing support services. Our services can be accessed from anywhere in Northern Ireland by ringing our Helpline (see number below).
How we can help
If you are being abused, physically, sexually, financially or emotionally, you have choices. Support is available in many forms. We provide a wide range of free services that are open to all women and girls, including women who are victims of trafficking. These include:
- A 24 hour Domestic & Sexual Violence Helpline – which can provide initial support and help you to consider your options
- Emotional, financial and practical support
- A safe place to stay and support through the process of exiting prostitution.
Contact: 0808 802 1414 – our Domestic & Sexual Violence Helpline, which is free to call. The Helpline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Or Text REACH to 07797 805 839
Belfast Drop-in Service for Commercial Sex Workers
The Belfast Drop-in Service for Commercial Sex Workers provides specialist support for those involved in prostitution in a safe, confidential and non-judgemental drop-in location.
How we can help
Our services are for anyone involved in prostitution, and are run by an Advanced Nurse Practitioner and a Public Health Nurse. Services include:
- Advice on health protection and promotion
- Sexual health advice
- Condoms and emergency contraception
- Pregnancy testing
- Cervical smear tests
- Sexual health screening and treatment
- Emergency access to the Genitourinary Medicine (GUM) service at the Royal Victoria Hospital
- Signposting and access to other support services, including counselling, education and training programmes.
Address: Bryson House, 28 Bedford St, Belfast, BT2 7FE
Drop-in hours: Thursday evenings from 18.00-22.00
Contact: 077 8633 8020 (to speak to the nurse)
Sexual Assault Referral Centre (the Rowan)
The Rowan is the Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) for Northern Ireland. We have a professional and highly-trained team that delivers a range of support and services 24 hours a day, all year round to anyone who has been sexually abused, assaulted or raped – whether this happened in the past or more recently.
How we can help
Services offered at the Rowan include:
- Forensic medical examination by a specially-trained doctor (forensic evidence can be stored until you make a decision whether or not you wish to report to the police)
- Emergency contraception
- A course of treatment to help prevent the onset of HIV if you are considered at risk (this must be administered within 72 hours of the assault)
- Screening and treatment for sexually-transmitted infections
- Emotional support
- Support in making a report to the police
- Referral on to counselling and/or other appropriate support services, such as a local Genitourinary Medicine (GUM) clinic
- Follow-up support.
Contact: 0800 389 4424 – our 24-hour advice and information line
Directory of Support Services
^ Back to top